4helix+ aimed at stimulating, coaching and funding creative innovation within the Blue Growth sector in the Mediterranean area. It intended to improve the existing gap between the eight Mediterranean regional maritime clusters and within their four helixes, through an open source, knowledge sharing and community-based approach, resulting from cooperation with Cultural and Creative Industries and ‘new innovation agents’.
The main goals of the project were the following:
- Strengthen transnational activity of regional innovation clusters for development of smart and sustainable growth in the Mediterranean area;
- Support trans-sectoral and cross-border cooperation between innovative maritime clusters and within their respective regional quadruple helix of influence, stimulating also social innovation;
- Foster creative innovation in MSMEs and START-UPs operating in MED maritime industry through innovation voucher scheme;
- Provide coaching on creative innovation to maritime sectors’ MSMEs and START-UPs;
- Offer €480.000 funding to selected companies for implementing creative innovation;
- Promote expertise of CCIs and ‘new innovation agents’ in transnational context;
- Transfer and embed innovative concepts, tools and processes tested by the project into regional strategies and policies for smart specialization (RIS3) and into national strategies and plans within the MED area and beyond.